Business Studies in Mountrath CS is always a popular option. At Junior Cycle students are given the opportunity to acquire skills for life in learning the essentials of running a home and a business. At Senior Cycle all three subjects are on offer: Accounting, Business & Economics. These subjects are very relevant in today’s world and will help in future employment as well as equipping students with skills necessary in the running of any business.
Junior Cycle Business Studies
This subject enables students to make informed decisions in the every day business of living, the world of business and encourages a positive attitude to enterprise and which develops appropriate skills in that field.
A broad variety of subjects are covered in the course:
- The Business of Living – Personal Finance & banking, consumer education, budgeting, insurance, borrowing, Communication skills: written, oral and visual. Record keeping required to run any household is also included in this part of the course.
- Economic Awareness. This is a gentle introduction to the world of economics, allowing pupils to become informed on Ireland’s foreign trade, government budgets and the main economic factors that affect the Irish economy.
- Enterprise – The syllabus now builds on what was learnt in the Business of Living and expands into the world of business. Topics include: Business finance, types of ownership, business documents, marketing, employment & industrial relations, all book-keeping from books of first entry to final accounts, analysis of accounts.
- Information Technology- a basic outline of the uses of ICT in business and at home today.
Transition Year Business
Students get an experience of real life business in two modules.
- TY Mini Company
- Sage Office Accounts
Accounting is a continuation of Junior Cert Book-keeping. The Course divides into two areas:
- Financial Accounting
Final Accounts for varies forms of business, Cash flow statements, Incomplete Records, Correction of Errors, Control Accounts, Published Accounts, Tabular Statements
- Management Accounting
Accounting is essential to the efficient running of any business. Careers in Accounting are sought after and many senior managers today come from an accounting background.
- The Business Course deals with the practical aspects of Business.
- Business aims to contribute to a balanced and appropriate education, leading to the personal and social development of students through a study of business and enterprise. It aims to encourage a clear understanding of enterprise in business and personal life. An insight into the overall environment in which business functions and preparation for adult working life should be achieved.
- Business can lead to careers in Banking, insurance, management, advertising, retailing, marketing, HR, PR, etc. It also offers the skills and knowledge desirable in setting up your own business
- Financial Accounting